Tadoba-Andhari Tiger Reserve & Tadoba National Park
Tadoba-Andhari Tiger Reserve is the pristine forestand is one of India’s 47 project tiger reserves existing in Indialocated in the Chandrapur district of the Nagpur, Maharashtra State of India.
The TadobaTiger Reserve is divided into three separate forest ranges, i.e. Tadoba north range, Kolsa south range, and Morhurli range. There are two lakes and one river in the park, the ‘Tadoba Lake,’ ‘Kolsa Lake,’ and ‘Tadoba River.’ These lakes and rivers helps to maintain the eco system of the national park.
The Tadoba Tiger Reserve isgifted with rich biodiversity. Today, Tadoba-Andhari Tiger Reserve (TATR) is the second Tiger Reserve in Maharashtra after Melghat tiger Reserve. The area of the Reserve is 625 sq.kms. This includes Tadoba National Park, created in 1955 with an area of 116.55 sq.kms and Andhari Wildlife Sanctuary created in 1986 with an area of 508.85 sq.kms. The Reserve also includes 32.51 sq.kms of protected forest and 14.93 sq. km of other areas.
The history behind the name Tadoba National Park is not known to many people. Tadoba or Taru was the name of tribal God for the people who resided in the dense Tadoba region of the forest.It is believed that Taru was a chief of village, and was killed in a legendary encounter with a King Tiger. After this incident, a memorial was built dedicated to the God Taru that exists under a huge tree and on the bank of Tadoba Lake.”Andhari” is derived from the name of Andhari river that flows in this area.
- The park is open for visitors from 1st October to 30th June every season and remains full-day closed on every Tuesday.
- The flora of Tadoba forest is of Southern tropical dry deciduous type and is spread on around 626 sq.km.
- Major part of this forest lies in the hilly area, so many hillocks and terrains provide shelter to the wild animals here.
- The main attraction of the Tadoba National Park is Jungle safari or Tiger Safari in an open gypsy.
- Tadoba also offers great chances to sight Sloth Bear and Wild Dogs during Jungle safari in Tadoba.
- Tadoba forest is also known for good presence of different bird species.
- Accommodation facilities at resorts and home stays are available and are mainly focused among two of its popular entrance gates i.e. Kolara Gate and Moharli Gate.
- Online Jungle safari bookings are done for the Open jeep safari ride or game drive in Tadoba Tiger Reserve.